Shaking the Movers

Shaking the Movers

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
There are many legal documents and changes to policies that have been made in order to ensure children are participating freely in their lives, however, unfortunately children continue to not be heard or considered on matters that affect their lives. Landon Pearson Resource Centre created Shaking the Movers to involve those who are being silenced by holding workshops where young people can come and participate in matters that are affecting their lives and how we can improve them. They are also not only taking children who are older but also children who are a little younger, in order to get a full representation of how they are feeling. 

Unfortunately however, there are some questions or concerns about the program. How are the children being contacted to participate in the program? Is every school being contacted or are there some children being further excluded from this opportunity? How are the expenses paid for? Are there more children who are also being silenced by not being able to afford to attend these workshops? 

After reading the 2007 report from Shaking the Movers, one quote stood out to me. 

"There can be programs set out to educate young people about rights but if adults don't learn too, then it is difficult." 

This is extremely important! When I was in school, I was not informed on my rights as a child at all, and if I had been the parents for my class would not have been invited to learn with us. The adults are the ones who should be more informed than the children as they are the ones who are supposed to protect, provide and give the opportunities to participate. Teaching everyone in society is important for their to be a clear knowledge about children's rights.