STM Compare and Contrast

STM Compare and Contrast

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

The STM report from 2007 allowed me to make several connections between what the children and youth said about their own experience of participation rights and what I have learned throughout this module. The children’s voices the problems they face regarding a child’s right to participate even with the UNCRC and the ways in which their voices are still not being adequately heard and taken seriously. As the children state, the role of adults in child participation goes beyond simply listening and that actions need to be make following listening in order to truly take them seriously. This connects to my understanding of child participation rights and the idea that children require adults to work with them and acknowledge their competencies and capabilities instead of disregarding their insightfulness. The children said that they should be involved in matters that impact their own lives. This connects to my own understanding of children’s participation rights because children are the key to making useful policies to benefit the lives of children. Who better to give insight on child experiences than the children themselves?