Compare and Contrast

Compare and Contrast

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

I believe that the model, as it stands currently is doing an alright job in fulfilling it's role to provide children a platform to  voice their opinions on certain topics. However, even then it can do better. One child brought up the fact that there is an blatant gap between speaking and having individuals listen to what you have to say. This can be problematic as the whole Shaking the Movers model is based around having the voices of children and youth heard. An issue such as this can prove to be counterintuitive to the purpose of Shaking the Movers. Even then, another child states that listening is not enough as the adults, the "movers" themselves don't necessarily act on their concerns. This further cements my idea that the Moving the Shakers Model is good, in the sense that it does indeed give the youth a voice but it does have its issues.  

The two connections I was able to make between what the youth had to say as well as my own understanding of children's participation is that 1) just because you have a platform to voice your opinion, that doesn't always mean people will act upon what you had to say. To put it in perspective, the adults that these children are voicing their concerns to have their own agenda, so acting upon what the youth said might not be in their best interest. 2) There is an obvious gap between which children and youth are able to have their voice heard, as low income/ low SES youth are often forgotten in these programs.  With that said, I think that if we address those issues and make sure that the "movers" actually act on what the youth have to say, the Moving the Shakers model would be better for it.