Compare and Contrast

Compare and Contrast

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

In Speaking Truth to Power something that came to my attention was one of the children saying that there is a gap between speaking and actually being heard.  This is interesting to me because the entire Shaking the Movers model is navigating around having the voices of all youth heard. Another child backs this up through saying "listening isn't enough; adults must act on our concerns".  As is evident, it is one thing to be listened to but in reality there will be no changes made unless adults choose to act upon and understand what youth are saying. Listening is only the first step to equal consideration in decision making. 

Another quote that I found intriguing reads "Some kids have more to say but don't know how to say it".  In my opinion I feel this can be a significant issue as many children would be nervous to stand up for themselves and speak for what they believe in.  Since children have been without a voice for so long it will take time for them to adapt to the concept of freedom of speech. This raises the issue of not knowing how to properly participate.