A Children's Commissioner for Canada

A Children's Commissioner for Canada

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

As many students have already mentioned here, I was shocked to learn that Canada does not have a Children's Commissioner or even an office, committee or minister responsible for children at the federal level. Bernstein points out in the Attawapiskat article that our country is quick to show generosity and concern to other countries in the midst of emergency, however, we are unable to see the same emergency in our own country. I was challenged by this idea and realize now how much farther our country needs to come to address the needs of our children. This is particularly true for First Nations and Aboriginal children, many of whom are caught between federal and provincial systems and are suffering as a result. The story of Jordan River Anderson, the young Cree boy who inspired "Jordan's Principle" and whose story we learned about in class is the perfect example of this. He died waiting for a fight between the federal and provincial government to be resolved, which is a reality no child should ever have to face. If there was a Children's Commissioner in Canada I think it would be easier to advocate for children like Jordan when they need it and to have principle's like Jordan's properly implemented. While Landon Pearson's tireless work shows just how difficult it may be to have a Children's Commissioner instituted, I still believe it is necessary for real change to occur.