Shaking the Movers + Compare and Contrast

Shaking the Movers + Compare and Contrast

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Shaking the Movers

Based on what I have read about on the Shaking the Movers model workshop, many of the challenges that children face in participation have been met accordingly in this situation. The workshop has been modelled, with article 12 in mind, in a way to recognize that the voices of a diverse set of children and youth have equal say in matters. It also denotes the power adults have within this setting by limiting their numbers. However, I believe no model is truly without a single flaw.

Compare and Contrast

One important point and quote that stuck out for me from the Shaking the Movers report in 2007, is that “listening isn’t enough; adults must act on our concerns”. This quote highlights a crucial aspect to empowering children: how can adults say they have heard children when they do not actively choose to take their concerns with merit when it comes to decision making? Attending and listening are only the first couple step to equal participation in child participatory rights. Another quote that I found compelling states “ many youth don’t know that they can participate, or that it’s not just for the top students-the right to participate needs to widely communicated.” This is another problem that many youth face: who exactly gets chosen to be a spokesperson and if so are they just being tokenized? Thankfully the workshop has improved more on inclusivity of different backgrounds from ethnicity, class, able-bodiedness, and so on.