Compare and contrast Shaking the Movers

Compare and contrast Shaking the Movers

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

After reading the STM report from 2007 I am able to make a connection with a number of things the children and youth said regarding their participation rights and what I have learned in this module. The young people identified the problems that persist in society despite the UNCRC, the ways in which their voices remain silenced or simply not taken seriously. They mentioned the need for adults to listen but then there needs to be some action that follows the listening, this is an important part of taking them seriously. They acknowledge the difference between being a token speaker versus being truly hard and valued. There concern over their thoughts and statements being acted upon is a common thread of this module. Throughout it I have learned the issues that can stand in children's way and the benefits of adults recognizing their agency in their own lives. The issue of lacking knowledge for their own rights and thoughts of one's own voice not mattering is another connection between the STM report voices and the module. The young people expressed the sentiment that participation should be made more aware to them and that all voices matter. Given the opportunity to speak and express themselves the young people have important thoughts on their own lived experiences. They desire more opportunities to speak out and this is what the module has been expressing. The need for more opportunities for young voices to be heard is crucial for making positive changes in their lives. Overall, I believe the voices of the Shaking the Movers workshop was very representative of the challenges, opportunities and discussions presented in this module.