Shaking the Movers reflection

Shaking the Movers reflection

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Based on the challenges and possibilities for children's participation in their lives, the Shaking the Movers model created by Landon Pearson meets these challenges very well. The workshops have children and young people participating in the discussion on public policy and about the important issues featured in the UNCRC articles. The program allows them to put forth their thoughts, opinions and use their voices to try and make change in policies around them that better suit their needs. One of the biggest challenges children face in being able to use their participation rights is that of opportunity to be heard and capturing the respect of adults to actually listen to their voice. Landon always them a space, a time, and the respect for them to express themselves. As well, ensuring them a space to be heard ensures that children avoid some of the abuse that comes along with their silencing. Taking the children and youth seriously is an opportunity for change and new ideas; Landon and her workshops create this opportunity and possibility that lacks in so many aspects of their lives. The commitment of the model to the UNCRC participatory rights of the child is clear and established. If I had to state a gap in the model, it would be that of the age limit for participation. I may have understood wrong the process of the groups and I am not sure if it is possible, but a workshop that applied specifically to the younger ages of children (below 10) to be able to voice their thoughts on different issues that affect them and express their lived experiences could be a great addition to the model. Landon addressing past issues in the reading and acknowledges those. I enjoy how she noted lessons she learned from past workshops and fixed them to better suit the needs and desires of the young people attending.